Hungarian Mushroom Soup
From Rain Forest Mushroom Company in Eddyville, Oregon
- 1 lb. fresh mixed mushrooms (Shiitake, Maitake, Oyster…)
- 1 Tbsp. tamari (Soy sauce)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups chicken, vegetable stock, or water
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp. dill weed
- Fresh ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Sauté onions in 2 Tbsp. butter, salt lightly.
- A few minutes later add mushrooms, 1 tsp. dill, ½ cup stock (or water), tamari and paprika. Cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter in a large saucepan; whisk in flour, cook while whisking (a few minutes).
- Add milk; continue to cook, stirring frequently over low heat, about 10 minutes until thick.
- Stir in mushroom mixture and remaining stock. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Just before serving add salt, pepper, lemon juice, sour cream, and if desired additional dill. Serve garnished with parsley.