Mixed Spring Green Salad with Honey-Miso Dressing
By Sherman, Friends of the Farmers Market
Makes ~1.5 cups
Scant ¼ cup minced garlic
Scant ¼ cup minced fresh ginger
½ cup olive oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. sesame oil (optional)
1 heaping Tbsp. honey
1 heaping tsp. miso (preferably white miso but any kind will do)
Mix all ingredients together in a jar with a lid – shake until all combined. Can live on your counter for 1 – 2 weeks (oil will coagulate in the fridge).
Spring Green Salad:
1. Select a variety of ~5+ green leafs: kale, lettuce, sorrel, pea shoots, frisee, mache, mustard greens, spinach, butter leaf lettuce, senposai, bok choy, tatsoi, sprouts, mizuna, chicory, watercress, etc.
2. Cut them up into salad-sized pieces and toss together – include as much “stem” as you can for extra crunch.
3. Add something colorful and crunchy if you desire like red cabbage, radishes, shredded beets, or carrots.
4. Store in a plastic vegetable bag, you can squeeze all the air out of it and it should last at least a week in your fridge.
5. Put handfuls of this salad on your plate as often as possible – put a handful: next to your eggs, in your breakfast burrito, on your breakfast sandwich, in a stir-fry, in a soup, or just enjoy as a salad with your home-made dressing!